Find out why a toothache needs to be treated as soon as possible.
Nothing seems to hurt worse than a pained tooth, right? No matter whether you are dealing with an aching, throbbing, or stabbing pain, our Wall, NJ, family dentist, Dr. Joseph Pollak, knows that you want to find out what’s going on. Here are some common toothache causes:
- Gum disease
- Cracked or broken tooth
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- A dental infection or abscessed tooth (will require root canal treatment)
- TMJ disorder (causes both jaw and tooth pain)
- Bruxism (also known as teeth grinding)
- Sensitive teeth
- A sinus infection (can cause referred pain in the upper, front teeth)
Tooth pain can range in type and severity. Your tooth pain may be,
- Intermittent (pain may come and go)
- Stabbing and sharp
- Worse when biting or chewing
Not sure what’s going on? See your dentist
A good rule of thumb is to always visit your dentist if you notice any pain, discomfort, or changes in your oral health. While mild pain may not worry you too much, the problem is that whatever is causing the pain will usually become worse if left untreated.
By performing a simple oral exam, we can determine whether the cause is a cavity, gum disease, or an abscessed tooth. Sometimes, x-rays are taken to confirm an infection within the tooth or a broken tooth. From there, we can determine the best course of action for treating your dental pain.
It’s important that you are maintaining good oral hygiene to protect your smile from the two most common causes of a toothache: cavities and gum disease. Of course, along with proper oral care, you should also be visiting your Wall, NJ, dentist every six months for routine checkups and cleanings. If it’s been more than six months since you last saw the dentist, call Wall Family Dental at (732) 449-5512 to schedule your next appointment.
Modern dental care benefits the whole family. Dr. Joseph Pollak is the dentist to see at Wall Family Dental in Wall, NJ, as he provides preventive, restorative, and cosmetic services that strengthen and beautify patients' teeth and gums. He and his team build on your good home routines so your smiles last.
What is good oral care?
It's simple and easy to do once you develop the habits. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends these at-home practices for people of all ages:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two full minutes, using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste (for ages three and up).
- Floss once a day with strand floss and/or interproximal brushes to remove sticky plaque and avoid hard tartar build-up.
- Consume a diet rich in fiber (fruits and vegetables) and low in added sugar.
- Drink at least eight eight-ounce glasses of water a day to keep teeth and gums clean and to increase the amount of beneficial saliva you produce.
- Wear an athletic mouth guard for all contact sports. Use a bite guard if you someone who clenches or grinds their teeth.
- Model good oral hygiene and dietary habits for the youngest members of your family.
Preventive care with your dentist
At Wall Family Dental, Dr. Pollak likes to see all his patients semi-annually for a cleaning and check-up.
Here's what your routine visit involves:
- A hygienic cleaning and polishing to remove deposits of plaque and tartar.
- X-rays to look for hidden problems and plan any needed treatments.
- Measuring gum pockets, the spaces between your teeth and gums (indicators of periodontal disease).
- A complete check of your teeth and gums, assessing for decay, periodontitis, dental bite, existing fillings/crowns and more.
- Oral cancer screening.
- Review of results and recommendations for treatments, cosmetic improvements, and education on brushing, flossing, and diet.
At Wall Family Dental, Dr. Joseph Pollak and his dedicated staff empower their patients with the oral health care services, education, and habits they need for smiles that last. Please call the office in Wall, NJ, with any questions that you may have for your dentist and to schedule your routine dental visit: (732) 449-5512.
The American Dental Association (ADA) states that your teeth receive up to 200 pounds of pressure when they bite and chew. Unfortunately, even the strongest of teeth can still experience faltering decay when they aren't properly cared for. Here at Wall Family Dental in Wall, NJ, your dentist, Dr. Joseph Pollak, and his team provide professional cleanings that remove harmful deposits of tartar and plaque, leaving you with a strong, healthy, and beautiful smile.
Why tooth decay and gum disease happen
Bacteria live everywhere in your mouth, but especially in carbohydrate-based food residues which produce sticky plaque and hard tartar.
The more of these biofilms you have, the more bacteria thrive and secrete harmful acids. Cavities and periodontal pockets form, along with other signs of gum disease. Left unaddressed, tooth loss occurs from these issues.
How your dentist in Wall, NJ, can help
At Wall Family Dental, Dr. Pollak recommends six-month cleanings and oral examinations for all his patients, no matter their ages. Dr. Pollak actually performs the dental cleaning, does a preliminary examination, takes X-rays when they are scheduled, and polishes your teeth. He measures the sulcus, or pocket, between each tooth and the gum tissue; this measurement is an accurate indicator of periodontal health.
After these initial steps, Dr. Pollak uses hand instruments or ultrasonic scalers to remove plaque and tartar from on and between teeth and at the gum line. This process is fully individualized to your needs. Upon completion, you'll receive a refreshing tooth polishing with a soft-tipped rotary toothbrush and special toothpaste.
Finally, Dr. Pollak will show you ways to improve your oral hygiene practices at home. He may suggest an electric toothbrush or special flossers for those hard-to-reach places. Nutritional counseling as needed is part of your prophylactic care at Wall Family Dentistry.
That's what you'll find at Wall Family Dental. Call us today to schedule an appointment with your dentist, Dr. Joseph Pollak: (732) 449-5512.
Teeth whitening can improve not just your smile but also the way you feel about yourself. A brightly polished smile is a facial feature that’s hard to miss—it makes a positive impression when you’re working, socializing, or just meeting someone for the very first time. Patients of Wall Family Dental in Wall, NJ can get their teeth whitened by using a take-home bleaching kit prescribed by Dr. Joseph Pollak.
A Whiter Smile: The Benefits
Here are some of the more prominent benefits of having a whiter smile:
- A Kelton Research survey found that most Americans equate a whiter smile with professional, financial, and social success.
- When your teeth are whitened professionally, the results last longer (at least a few years).
- You may be more motivated to see your Wall, NJ dentist for biannual visits to keep your smile looking and feeling healthy after a teeth whitening treatment.
Take-Home Bleaching Kits
When you have your teeth whitened with the supervision of a dentist, you can expect better results than with over the counter products. At Wall Family Dental in Wall, NJ your dentist can examine your teeth and send you home with a prescription take-home teeth whitening kit. A custom mold of your teeth will be taken so that a set of mouth trays can be created to fit your smile. You’ll fill the trays with the tooth bleaching solution provided by Dr. Pollak (which you cannot find in stores) and leave the trays on for about an hour each day. In a few weeks’ time, your teeth will be considerably whiter.
Smile Maintenance Tips
Observe these easy smile maintenance tips to keep your teeth as white as possible for as long as possible:
- Brushing twice a day (or after each meal) will help keep your tooth enamel free from stains and discoloration.
- Use a straw instead of sipping on beverages from a cup directly
- Take a photo of your smile after your whitening treatment so that you’ll have a point of reference for the ideal shade of your teeth in the future.
Get Your Smile Back
Your smile is one of your greatest physical assets, and it’s easy to maintain when you see a dentist regularly for checkups. Consider professional teeth whitening at your next visit to Wall Family Dental in Wall, NJ. Call (732) 449-5512 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Joseph Pollak.
Starting in childhood, preventive treatments at home combined with regular visits to Walls Family Dental in Wall, NJ, helps ward off decay, gum disease, regular wear-and-tear and other smile issues. To keep you and your family in top dental health, our dentist, Dr. Joseph Pollak, is always here to give you and yours the services that you all need!
What a family dentist offers
The list is long and varied, but essentially, your family dentist in Wall, NJ, does it all! He cares for your dental and gingival health, checks for oral cancer and bite/jaw joint problems, restores and replaces damaged teeth, and beautifies smiles with state-of-the-art services such as whitening, composite resin bonding, porcelain veneers, and dental implants.
As with any reputable family dentist, Wall Family Dental caters to everyone, from kids to senior citizens, by providing routine care at your convenience and emergency services when pressing needs arise!
What the ADA recommends
Dr. Pollak advises following the American Dental Association guidelines for routine oral health care. For children, teens, and seniors, that means twice-a-day brushing, once-daily flossing, and at least twice-yearly dental visits for teeth cleaning, a complete oral examination, and digital X-ray imaging as needed. These practices ward off decay and gum disease while also uncovering problems as they develop so that Dr. Pollak can address them quickly.
As a family dentistry patient, count on a care plan appropriate for your age and lifestyle!
A final word on prevention
Routine visits to Wall Family Dental not only fortifies your teeth and gums, but it also fortifies your overall health. In particular, conditions such as periodontal disease are linked to serious issues such as diabetes, stroke, dementia, and more. This means that a healthy mouth translates to a healthier you, and Dr. Pollak is happy to help you achieve and maintain both!
Routine care from your family dentist
You'll be glad you brought your loved ones to Wall Family Dental, especially when you see them smile! To book your six-month cleaning and examination appointments, call the office team at (732) 449-5512. We look forward to serving your family for years to come!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.